Topic Thread

Spanish Survey

• 1.  Spanish Survey

Posted 05-15-2018 12:19
    Dear Middle School Spanish Teachers,

As part of my master's program, I'm required to conduct research to improve my practice. I've settled on the following research question: How do middle school Spanish teachers address the concept of gender nonconformity when teaching a language that requires its speakers to assign gender? I have decided to survey and interview current and former Spanish teachers in order to gauge strategies and resources available. Therefore, I need your help! Please follow the link to the anonymous survey. If you are interested in participating in a short interview (can be in-person or remote), please contact me at
    jmlampenfeld@gmail.com. Finally, I would love to examine lesson plans that relate to my topic. Please let me know if you would be willing to share.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XQSD5NQ

Thanks for your help,
    Jordan Lampenfeld

Implied Consent to Participate in Research Data collected from this confidential survey will be used for completion of a master's degree in Education at California State University East Bay. The information gathered will be used for research on addressing the concept of gender nonconformity in the Spanish classroom. The survey questions will be about your experience with resources and strategies created to address gender nonconforming individuals in the Spanish classroom. You have been invited to participate because you are or were a middle school Spanish teacher. You must be 18 years of age or older to participate. There are no risks or benefits to you in participating in this survey. You may choose to participate or not. You may answer only the questions you feel comfortable answering, and you may stop at any time. If you do not wish to participate, you may simply return the blank survey, with no penalty to yourself. If you do participate, completion and return of the survey indicate your consent to the above conditions. Survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XQSD5NQ ​ Thanks for your help, Jordan Lampenfeld

------------------------------
    Jordan Lampenfeld
    El Dorado Union High School District
    jmlampenfeld@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Spanish Survey

Posted 07-06-2018 17:12
    Hello Jordan,

I understand the question is about when a student does not want to be addressed as "belonging" to any gender? That is a very current and relevant topic of research! I think it has not been determined/established yet.
    In my high school I have been asked that question twice this last year, and it was the first time I had even heard of it. The first time I was asked that questions while I was circulating around the class monitoring student´s work, I was not even sure what my students were asking me about. At that moment, so I asked "Can you give me some examples of what you mean?" Then, after some examples in English, I could only think of "Use the name of the person/student instead of using, for example, "él/ella". But in some situations it can be more difficult to avoid using a gender mark, even with adjectives that have the same form for both genders you can not omit the article "el/un-la/una estudiante", will you use "persona" instead?

By the way, how do you do in English to replace "his/him" or "her" to avoid using gender pronouns specially if you do not know the name of the student?

One note, since I am writing in English I have been writing "gender", however in Spanish we would have to differentiate between "sexo" and "género", and I would use "sexo" more than "género" related to the "gender nonconformity". For the last years, mass media in Spanish (specially when translating from English expressions) have been using "género" instead of "sexo", and the RAE (in 2014) accepted and added this sociocultural meaning of "género". We can read in Fundéu: "El término género puede emplearse en relación con las convenciones y funciones socioculturales que se asocian a ciertas características sexuales".

Hugo Diaz Rodil
    Sierra College; Sierra Academy of Expeditionary Learning (SAEL); PandaTree,
    Spanish Teacher
    hugodiazrodil@gmail.com