Language Educators

CI and the Core Practices

• 1.  CI and the Core Practices

Posted 09-27-2018 13:54
    As dedicated WL teachers we are always looking for that magic method that will produce advanced language learners.  The "buzz method" now is CI (although I know CI has been around for a very long time).  For those who have asked me about the relationship between CI and the Core Practices, I have replied that the Core Practices support Ci....and most other teaching methods as well.  Is there a better way to state this?

------------------------------
    Susan Johnson
    ICTFL Conference Coordinator
    susancjohnson@att.net

• 2.  RE: CI and the Core Practices

Posted 09-28-2018 09:45
    Hi, Susan (and to those who've made inquiries on this topic).

I thought I'd remind everyone that CI is not a method or an approach. CI--as comprehensible input--is a construct in L2 acquisition theory and research. There are methods that acknowledge CI (e.g., TPRS, The Natural Approach, immersion) and provide plenty of CI as part of what happens in and out of classrooms, but again, CI is not a method. The confusion about what CI is understandable, however, because of how it is used by some educators (e.g., "Do you do CI?" "Welcome to CI!").

Whether or not the "core practices" support acquisition-rich classrooms is, I think, open for discussion.

Bill VanPatten
    Input and More, LLC
    aliasbvp@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: CI and the Core Practices

Posted 10-07-2018 05:40
    The core practices do not support CI, in my view.

Ben Slavic

• 4.  RE: CI and the Core Practices

Posted 09-28-2018 12:33
    CI refers to the core of  the Comprehension hypothesis stated by Stephen Krashen .The main feature in this hypothesis is to expose learners to the target language as much as possible. This is Krashen's site where he has posted most of his work.  This article explores comprehensible Input. As it was said in another comment , CI as well as all the hypotheses in Krashen's Monitor model can be fully explored in practice in the  Natural Approach .

Nahir Aparicio
    Universidad Pedagogica Experimental Libertador .Caracas
    nahirco@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: CI and the Core Practices

Posted 09-29-2018 20:28
    Some of the video clips in the blog authenticspanishlanguageandpedagogy.blogspot.com might be useful.
    the blog is a little old and once in a while a video won't play, but most do and there are transcriptions for each.
    Anyone interested in collaborating on this project would be very welcome, comments, suggestions most appreciated.  We're in the process of building a web-site that will be more navigable but it's taking time.

Karen Schairer
    Karen.Schairer@nau.edu