Language Educators

NEW VIDEO: Collaborative Construction

• 1.  NEW VIDEO: Collaborative Construction

Posted 01-30-2018 23:35
    From this video, I hope more people can understand the simplicity, but also the great power, of the collaborative construction process. There is no process that I know of that is better for the second language, acquisition-centered and proficiency-based classroom. I demo how to collaboratively construct a

1) character,
    2) an object,
    3) a setting,
    4) a scene,
    5) how to apply it to a textbook topic,
    6) collaboratively construct personal information,
    7) use the process to co-create an original, and
    8) an alternative version of a story.

I go over some main techniques for making the process comprehensible. I argue the benefits of the process, explaining how it is deeply student-centered, and provides superior vocabulary spacing. I hope this demystifies what TPRS teachers are doing and inspires more teachers to try this process out. And I think this way of characterizing the process is good for training new teachers and marketing the process.
    Happy Acquisition!

------------------------------
    Eric Herman
    eric.herman.pchn@gmail.com
    Graduate Student
    http://acquisitionclassroom.weebly.com/

• 2.  RE: NEW VIDEO: Collaborative Construction

Posted 02-03-2018 17:38

Thank you for your contribution! We have not yet incorporated TPRS into our foreign language program, but I would like to pioneer this. 

Does anyone have specific thoughts on TPRS for 17-18 year old students in Level 1-2 languages? 

Christine Randall
    christine.randall3@gmail.comTeacher

• 3.  RE: NEW VIDEO: Collaborative Construction

Posted 02-04-2018 15:57
    I had taught for 22 years  in the traditional textbook manner (also incorporating a Spanish verb wall, songs, projects, etc.  Last summer, I got wind of a TPRS conference in San Antonio and it sounded very intriguing.  I cannot say in words how that week refreshed my teaching!  I have gone to telling stories in Spanish almost every day, incorporated novels, even more songs and videos (Movie Talk) and I am SOLD.  This year has been more FUN teaching to ALL levels of learners!  My goal is 90% spoken Spanish in the classroom, 100% comprehension along with spot teaching grammar as needed.  Little homework, less stress.  It is a win-win!

Tracey Thomas
    tthomas@san-saba.net