Language Educators

Crowd-Source Opportunity - Capturing Performance

• 1.  Crowd-Source Opportunity - Capturing Performance

Posted 06-29-2018 17:22
    Over the next month, I am starting a crowd-sourcing event to build a better rubric to measure interpersonal speaking performance. Each week there will be a new design challenge. See the details here:
    Capturing Performance - Build a Better Rubric

------------------------------
    Paris Granville
    granvillep@bsd405.org
    World Language Curriculum Lead

• 2.  RE: Crowd-Source Opportunity - Capturing Performance

Posted 07-01-2018 19:06
    Day 1 - Week 1
    Design Constraints
    Today we take a look at the pure folly of trying to come up with a rubric for spontaneous speaking. Before we can begin we need to capture the design constraints. https://www.rocketlanguage.org/slablog/2018/7/1/capturing-performance-spontaneous-speaking

Paris Granville
    granvillep@bsd405.org

• 3.  RE: Crowd-Source Opportunity - Capturing Performance

Posted 07-14-2018 22:20
    This week we take a look at metrics for an interpersonal speaking rubric. This included a review of the published rubrics and a poll to establish the possible metrics for a rubric. Next week we evaluate the different types of rubrics that we could use with some of the metrics. Add your voice to the poll.
    Metrics for Interpersonal Speaking Rubrics
    RocketLanguage.org remove preview
    Metrics for Interpersonal Speaking Rubrics
    Measurement relies on identifying the features of student spontaneous speech that best correlate to performance and proficiency. These also need to be overtly identifiable in a two-minute speech sample. After scouring our professional organizations, state departments of education, research on measuring proficiency here is a list of possible metrics.
    View this on RocketLanguage.org >

Paris Granville
    granvillep@bsd405.org

• 4.  RE: Crowd-Source Opportunity - Capturing Performance

Posted 07-26-2018 17:35

To Rubric or not to Rubric - Part 1

RocketLanguage.org remove preview
    To Rubric or not to Rubric - Part 1
    In my level I and II French classes, students did their interpersonal speaking performance twice a year with native speakers from the community. Although charm seems like a nebulous feature to measure, at the novice level is was very teachable. The native speakers who mark the rubrics for my students found it very easy to measure, if not to define.
    View this on RocketLanguage.org >

Paris Granville
    granvillep@bsd405.org