Language Educators

Technology in the Classroom

• 1.  Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-08-2018 21:50
    Hi everyone,

My name is Jake and I am currently a graduate student studying teaching .  I will be teaching Spanish once I graduate.

I'm wondering how often do you use technology in your classroom and how helpful has it been?  If you use it a lot, do you have any recommendations for any technology resources that have been helpful to you in your language classes?  It could be a website, an application, or even a video game, just any sort of technology that you have found useful in your teaching.  It's for a technology class I'm in #pacificutech but I'm sure it will be helpful in my future teaching career.  Thank you for your thoughts and help!

-Jake

------------------------------
    Jake Harder
    hard8160@pacificu.edu

• 2.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-09-2018 01:41
    I teach on-line so technology is an integral part of my day.  I incorporate YouTube videos, on-line articles, touring websites such as colleges, etc.  I have a list of 21st Century Resources ACTFL that I was given during my AP training.  I have shared with you via Google Drive to give you ideas on how to incorporate technology in to your classroom.

Tom Beeman
    High School Spanish Teacher
    California Virtual Academies

• 3.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-10-2018 08:47
    Hello Jake,

You may want to consider getting a graduate certificate in language teaching with technology!  I have learned so much with this program, and the transformations it has made in my teaching will really benefit my students.  Here is the information, in case you're interested:  https://www.colorado.edu/languagetechnologyprogram/  

Good luck,

Margot

• 4.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-10-2018 09:18
    Best wishes to you in embarking on an exciting career and starting with the anticipation that we all must keep up with technology.  I have many friends abroad where my target language is spoken, so we use Skype, FaceTime, Whatsapp, and other programs for live, audio or face-to-face chats.  Students get the thrill of the international contact and accents and also can practice pragmatics such as asking and taking down phone numbers, etceteras in "real speed/real time."

I like Quizlet, and make flashcards and other games based on current lexicon that students can have on their phones or devices.  Of course you can convert classroom notes and presentations to .pdf and place on Blackboard or other class Web site.

There is a quite sophisticated, interactive test-making program that you can access free at H5P.org and the items that you create can be embedded or accessed online.

Finally, let me balance the above, however, by saying that word games and drama games that improve interpersonal mode performance are also extremely helpful to the extent that our use of technology should not keep us from setting up a table in the classroom and--even without food--playing characters having family arguments and other discussions.

Bob Chase
    Satisfecho@aol.com
    "Always an Adjunct"
    Tunxis Community College
    Capital Community College
    www.yalebooks.com/medicalspanish

• 5.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-10-2018 12:03
    I polled some of the best World Language teachers and found some way-cool technological tools that I share in this blog. learn.How to Use Technology to Engage Your Students - Best PowerPoints for Spanish & French
    Best PowerPoints for Spanish & French remove preview
    How to Use Technology to Engage Your Students - Best PowerPoints for Spanish & French
    How to use technology to engage students: I used to have this gnawing fear that all the other teachers were using tons of awesome technology to engage their students while my poor kids were bored to death. I polled some of the best teachers and found seven way-cool technological tools that I will share with you.
    View this on Best PowerPoints for Spanish & French >

Angie

Angie Sherbondy
    altespoir@sbcglobal.net
    Spanish Teacher

• 6.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-11-2018 21:27
    Awesome, thanks a lot!

Jake Harder
    hard8160@pacificu.edu

• 7.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-09-2018 07:27
    Hi Jake, 

May I suggest that you add some sort of survey?  Perhaps you may want to create one in Google Forms.  That way you will have all your responses in one spot, along with email addresses so you can ask follow-up questions.  Additionally, you'll have something to show your professor!

Muy buena suerte, 

Heide

--
    Heide DeMorris
    The World Language Department
    North Salem Middle High School

Language isn't a "credit for graduation to check off", but a skill that "checks you in" to future opportunity. (Linda L Egnatz) 

• 8.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-09-2018 11:52
    Hello Jake,

I have been teaching Spanish for the last 15 years. I have a Master in Edu Technology, and I recently became a Google for Education Trainer. I use technology in my classroom everyday. I work at a 1:1 iPad school, and I do all my lesson plans hyperlink to different activities. I use Google Apps, specially doc, slides, sites and forms. Outside Google there are a bunch of apps that I love.
    For instance, for writing you can use sites such as: Storybird, Pow Toon, Makebeliefscomix, for speaking: Voicethread, Flipgrid, Voki, and any recorder like quicktime player, or audacity. Overall, the inclusion of technology in the class has become an everyday thing, you are transforming your old lesson plans, and they are becoming interactive and engaging with out loosing their authenticity.

Hope this helps,
    Carolina

• 9.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-12-2018 10:15
    Thank you, everybody. All your answers have been so useful!

Nadia Carmona
    ncarmona@fultonscienceacademy.orgWorld Language Department Head

• 10.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-09-2018 11:53
    1. I use videos alot including Señor Jordan. Follow my playlist at Gina Covello 
    2. I use Learn Spanish Online at StudySpanish.com
    3. I use Spanish Proficiency Exercises 
    I use many others, but these are the main ones. My students use Yabla and Slow News in Spanish, but I am not in a traditional classroom. I run a private practice and have small group lessons and private lessons for children and adults.

Gina Covello
    gina@hablals.com
    Habla Language Services
    Owner/Instructor

• 11.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-09-2018 21:05

Quizziz is a popular assessment tool at our school. There are some useful data review aspects.

We experimented with using Rosetta Stone, which I do not suggest. Our high school students do not find it to be engaging input, and it is often not comprehensible to them. I also found that it has a lot of technological issues. 

Christine Randall
    christine.randall3@gmail.comTeacher

• 12.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-10-2018 07:16
    Basic Hardware:
    -projector
    -digital document camera (NOT a web cam)
    -MimioTeach (not necessary, but I like it!)
    -speakers (good built-in ones are best but right now I am using a portable Bose speaker because I don't like the built-in ones)
    -Also I have used a wireless keyboard to have students type as we are projecting and to be able to move around the room and control what I am projecting.
    -Currently I have an AppleTV and am able to use an iPAD or my computer from anywhere in the room.
    -my own printer in my office is really handy!

Google Classroom.

I also have a Quizlet subscription I am just exploring and a subscription to Bablingua. Newsela is a nice resource but too expensive for me. It also didn't allow me to include easily vocabulary assistance in a usable way for students. Google Play Music.

Free on-line resources: StudySpanish.com (limited use available free), Ver-taal, Dreaming Spanish videos at Patreon or YouTube, and of course YouTube, Quizlet limited use including limited Quizlet Live, my students' favorite game. Kahoot is popular but I have only used it once as I like to put lists in Quizlet live then just automatically have the "games" created from those lists.

Google Drive: Forms, Sheets, Docs, Slides with sharing capabilities for use as a department.  The new-ish shared drive feature is fantastic.

I also use my phone to take attendance at assemblies and during class if Internet is down.

Students bring headphones and Chromebooks to class each day.  I do not find this necessary and would not use it for Spanish I and II very often, but I do like the flexibility it offers for 3,4H,AP.  And if I were in Spanish I and II I would probably take advantage of this from time to time.

I hope this helps!  Basically, I feel like I could teach easily with dry erase markers and a board from WalMart, but all of these other things are nice. Our Internet was down for two days this week and it was actually nice to be practically tech-free for a short time!

Diane Volzer
    dvolzer@chslions.comWorld Languages Department Head

• 13.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-11-2018 21:43
    Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful advice!  You all have so many great ideas!  I'm excited to be a part of this awesome group- gracias  :)

-Jake

Jake Harder
    hard8160@pacificu.edu

• 14.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-22-2018 04:16
    I can also suggest to view some private school in olney about their curriculum. Pretty impressive.

Harry Kent
    misterharrykent@gmail.com

• 15.  RE: Technology in the Classroom

Posted 02-22-2018 04:18
    I see that christian school in maryland are pretty aggressive developing their curriculum.

Harry Kent
    misterharrykent@gmail.com