Language Educators

help choosing a new Spanish phonetics text

• 1.  help choosing a new Spanish phonetics text

Posted 08-23-2018 14:13
    Hello, I need help with an introductory Spanish Phonetics textbook. I still use ¡Qué bien suena! for an undergraduate level Spanish Phonetics course. The students really respond well to it and it is a dream to teach from, but it is increasingly awkward (and expensive for students) to use/supplement a text from 2005, and there are no plans to update it, unfortunately. Does anyone know of a similar but more recent (work)text for such a course (written in Spanish that is accessible to undergrads, teaches transcription, includes written and spoken practice exercises, etc.)? I have begun looking at other texts on my own, but would appreciate any guidance or suggestions anyone might have. Thank you for your time.

------------------------------
    Carrie Clay
    Anderson University
    cyclay@anderson.edu

• 2.  RE: help choosing a new Spanish phonetics text

Posted 08-30-2018 09:37
    I recommend Morgan, T. A. 2010. Sonidos en Contexto. Yale U.P. I haven't used it to teach Spanish pronunciation, but from what I can see it is very complete, very clearly written, engaging and with very authentic examples.

Manuela Gonzalez-Bueno
    University of Kansas
    Associate Professor
    mgbueno@ku.edu

• 3.  RE: help choosing a new Spanish phonetics text

Posted 08-30-2018 22:25
    Hello, 
    Sonidos en Contexto is Ok. A little dispersed. I wish but has a lot of material and exercises. It is also expensive if that matters. 
    I cannot find one that I like 100% but right now that's probably the best choice. 

I do have a question. What do you mean by "keep updating the book"? Just a question. I have seen !Qué buen suena! book but never use it. 

Jorge 

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: help choosing a new Spanish phonetics text

Posted 08-31-2018 08:04
    Hi, I agree that Sonidos en contexto is a great book for undergraduate phonetics class.  I have been using it for several years.  It has excellent activities and contextualized examples, has audio component, and fairly clear explanations.  I recommend it.

Lily Goetz
    Longwood University
    goetzla@longwood.edu

• 5.  RE: help choosing a new Spanish phonetics text

Posted 08-31-2018 10:19
    Great question about updating/supplementing, thanks for asking! My apologies for a poor and possibly unfair choice of words. As two examples, I would like to see a chapter or unit added on sociolinguistics, based on recent research. It would complement well the last couple of units where dialectology and philology are already briefly explored. I might also like to see a little more standardization of terminology to match what I'm seeing elsewhere (e.g., clarification of how the author is using the term "rotacismo" on page 65). The book "teaches" concepts so very well to students and students respond well to it, but I would love for it to be reviewed and updated. Thanks so much.

Carrie Clay
    Anderson University
    cyclay@anderson.edu