The purpose of the ACTFL Research Priorities Project
is to support empirical research on five priority areas that are currently critical to improving World Language education. Proposals can initiate a new research study, support/expand a study under way, or explore an emerging research area that is connected to one or more Research Priority areas. The research grants are funded by ACTFL. Below each priority area is a list of sample research topics; research studies need not be limited to these topics.
Research Priority Area #1: Immersion/Dual Language Programs
- Content-based instruction
- Sustaining student enrollment
- Articulation to secondary and post-secondary
Research Priority Area #2: In-Service and Pre-service Language Teacher Development and Retention
- Model teacher preparation programs
- Preparing language teachers for diverse settings
- Teacher retention
- Certification opportunities
Research Priority Area #3: Assessing Learning Outcomes in K-16 Settings
- Learning outcomes in specific programmatic and curricular models
- Assessment of learning outcomes in relation to an instructional practice
- Study of learning processes and interactions
- Learner voices and experiences
Research Priority #4: Equity and Access in Language Learning
- Heritage language learners
- Language preservation
- Policy in language program development
- Underrepresented/historically underserved populations in language learning
- Multiculturalism and culturally sustaining pedagogies in the world language classroom
Research Priority Area #5: Intercultural Learning
Learning contexts (service learning/study abroad)
- Assessment instruments and outcomes
- Application of Intercultural Can-do Statements in classroom settings
When is the deadline? The deadline for proposals is June 1, 2018 at 5 pm Eastern time.
Who can apply? ACTFL members may submit one application as a first author and be listed as a second or third author on one additional application.
What will happen next? The Research Priorities Task Force will review proposals and select projects. Applicants will be informed of the selections by August 15, 2018. Selected studies will receive a grant of up to $2,500 from ACTFL to help defray some of the research costs. Recipients are expected to apply to present their research at ACTFL 2019 and agree to grant Foreign Language Annals right of first refusal of any articles that emerge from the research.