Topic Thread

1.  project ideas for literacy

Posted 05-18-2017 01:13

So, I am working on a project where I have been asked to come up with a list of "strategies to increase literacy development in the high school classroom" for professional development. I have my own thoughts, and I am consulting the literature on best-practices, but I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone would send me one or two of their ideas as well. So..., any thoughts on ways to increase literacy development in the HS classroom?

From,

http://signature.gow.org/images/icon.jpg

Maestro William Schnaithman : Int'l Programs Coordinator / Outdoor Ed. Coach / Ellis Dorm Parent

The Gow School

2491 Emery Rd.

South Wales, NY 14139

Ph: 716.687.2214 | Fx: 716.652.3457

"Gow United"

Gow is a college preparatory school for students with dyslexia and related language based learning disabilities.

Click here to Unsubscribe

2.  RE: project ideas for literacy

Posted 05-19-2017 10:35
I attended a webinar for librarians facilitated by International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE - International Society for Technology in Education - Home).  Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context can be useful for English Language Learners.  Cynthia Merrill had an interesting idea to use selfies to facilitate writing and talking.  Learners reflect on their videos and get it perfect before they publish.  They can talk about a book or ideas and present multiple perspectives.  Look at her Pinterest (Selfie Center).  It may give you some ideas for activities that motivate your learners.

------------------------------
Junko Yamamoto
junko.yamamoto@sru.edu

3.  RE: project ideas for literacy

Posted 05-20-2017 08:06
I realize you are working with dyslexic students who face great challenges with written text. At our school, we have relied on audio books for many of them. I also found in working with reluctant readers that graphic novels and comics can be a wonderful resource. In graduate school, I did a study on the level of vocabulary included in many comics and found that they really stretched the word level of my student. As a world language teacher, I use Pixton comic maker because it is very motivating for my students and I can even change the language setting of the interface to the TL so that they pick up even more vocabulary.
Another great resources as a teacher can be to find guides, manuals and other non-fiction texts in areas of high interest to students such as cars, sports, animals, crafts. Depending on the level of your students, DK eyewitness books or infographics can be a useful resource as well.

Victoria Gilbert
vgilbert@saintdavids.org
Chair, Modern Languages

4.  RE: project ideas for literacy

Posted 05-19-2017 14:30
ACTFL is finishing development of a virtual learning module that deals with this very topic. It's a culmination of a multi-year project. It's due to be released in July, but you can check it out here:

Language and Literacy Collaboration Center (LLCC) 

We are having a online discussion May 25 @ 5pm ET. Register for the call here

Trey Calvin
Program Coordinator | ACTFL
tcalvin@actfl.org

5.  RE: project ideas for literacy

Posted 06-12-2017 14:42
i find literacy  in a foreign language is best introduced in small doses. Have you tried proverbs-sayings-mottos? You can pick and choose based on vocabulary or grammar goals, have students  1) explain their meaninigs or 2) act them out 3) use them in a dialog 4) try to think of an english equivalent....no matter what, they are short and sweet. I teach italian, so my suggested website is Italian, but there must be similar ones in all languages!
for those interested in Italian, try http://web.tiscali.it/proverbiitaliani/

Andrea Casson
Fashion Institute of Technology
andrea_casson@fitnyc.edu

6.  RE: project ideas for literacy

Posted 06-13-2017 01:28
Deconstructing and then re-constructing academic language.

Tom Beeman
High School Spanish Teacher
California Virtual Academies

7.  RE: project ideas for literacy

Posted 06-13-2017 13:21
My students love to read stories.  I recycle the language with questions and activities. Students can rewrite the story from a different perspective, write their own story using some of the vocabulary, write a different ending, fill in cloze activities.  My goal is to provide as much repetition in context.

I also use videos with target-language subtitles.

Here is a link to some of my resources:
TPR Stories

I also use videos with target-language subtitles for comprehensible input.

Angie Sherbondy
altespoir@sbcglobal.net
Spanish Teacher