Topic Thread

Credit Retrieval course for World Languages

• 1.  Credit Retrieval course for World Languages

Posted 04-11-2018 12:05
    My School District is trying to find a variety of strategies to help students get credit for graduation for a World Language course.  Of course as a previous Spanish teacher myself I believe deeply that the best way to learn the language and to show competency is to take the course and/or study in an immersion program.
    Unfortunately, not every student has such an option so I have been tasked with investigating other means for students to retrieve a credit in either a Spanish, French, German, or Japanese course.
    Please let me know what you might have seen used and/or use in your own schools or districts.
    Thank you so much for your time and information sharing,
    T

------------------------------
    Tami Moffatt
    tmoffatt@cloverpark.k12.wa.us

• 2.  RE: Credit Retrieval course for World Languages

Posted 04-12-2018 10:10
    HI,
    My school (private, Christian, K-12) has an academy program where
    students take classes part-time on campus and have other commitments, 
    i.e. film industry, sports, etc.
    We have used the Middlebury College online program for the academy
    students.  
    While it is not the perfect, every day face-to-face interaction,
    it is an excellent program from an highly accredited 
    and respected source.
    Just a thought for you.
    Caroline

--
    Caroline Ridenour
    French Teacher
    Heritage Christian Schools
    818 894-5742

• 3.  RE: Credit Retrieval course for World Languages

Posted 04-13-2018 16:28
    Hi Tami,

I'm not sure what I replied to Elizabeth can be seen by you, so I'm writing again. 

First of all, I totally agree with you that the best way to learn the language and to show competency is to take the course and/or study in an immersion program. Since not every student can afford travel abroad, we have an online program that truly compromises the cost of travel while offering students the face-to-face interaction that is essential in an immersion program. 

Our program embeds immersion and real-time personal interaction on the Internet environment. We can pair your Mandarin students with same-age Chinese students in China on a 1-on-1 basis, and arrange chatting and tutoring sessions once or twice a week, or at your preferred frequency. Yes there is a time difference between two countries, but with a little effort, it's not unsolvable. If you have an onsite Mandarin teacher, that will be better if she/he can guide the students and set learning objectives for the online sessions, so students will be able to maximize the chatting time and see a result. The result is that they could use Mandarin in the real world and make conversations, and speak in an authentic way that Chinese people do.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Anna Yu
    Director
    Sino Language & Beyond
    Toll Free: 866-with-SLG
    Local/Intl: 408-360-9958
    www.sinolanguage.org
    PARTNER with US China Strong 
    Educational exchange between China and the US since 2003
    Two-way customized school trip, online program, summer camp, teacher training, School Administrator's China delegation 

• 4.  RE: Credit Retrieval course for World Languages

Posted 04-13-2018 08:34
    Hello Tami,

If your students can consider it, we offer courses for credit in the summer in those languages at Concordia Language Villages. Let me know if you have any questions.  Concordia Language Villages

Jennifer Speir-Hearn
    speir@cord.edu Group Director

• 5.  RE: Credit Retrieval course for World Languages

Posted 04-13-2018 12:27
    Are you looking for college-level credit?  At my school, we have a UHS program (University in the High School) through our State University for which students earn four transferable college credits (they earn eight credits over two years).  Have you looked into something like this?  Perhaps with your local community college?

Heide DeMorris
    hdemorris@northsalemschools.org