Topic Thread

Descubre

• 1.  Descubre

Posted 01-24-2016 04:16
    Any thoughts on this textbook series? We are looking to adopt a new text and this seems to be a good series. Does anyone have any experience with this text? Will it work well with iPads?

Amelia Perry

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Descubre

Posted 01-25-2016 08:52

It is quite academically challenging and has worked well for our honors sections but is too advanced for our regular sections (especially level 3).  Our regular teachers are actually looking for a switch.  It is also not very relevant to Middle School because it was originally designed for college students and there are many vocabulary words (especially in the school subjects sections) that are related to college life.  Unless there is something new that I am unaware of, it doesn't work on ipads.  

------------------------------
    Gretchen Batalis
    gretchenbatalis@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Descubre

Posted 01-26-2016 07:27

We are using it in this way:

Descubre 1 for Level 1 Spanish

Descubre 2 for levels 2 and 3 Spanish

Descubre 3 for Level 4 Spanish (selected lessons, along with other curricula

We find it to be vocabulary dense and grammar at a high level, so we have split level 2 between levels 2 and 3 and of course do other material throughout.  We like the book a lot and find that there is ample material in each lesson to offer a variety of options, along with the use of the supersite.

Kerilyn Bristow
    kbristow@wcsu.net

• 4.  RE: Descubre

Posted 01-26-2016 12:41

I have used it for several years in levels 1-3 and Temas, by the same company for IV. I have loved it. There are many supplementary materials that provide a broad range of activities and allow teachers to choose what best fits their style. It challenged our students, but they were very successful with the book. The material is spiraled throughout the levels, so students feel they have knowledge of the concept and then we just expand on it each level. It is also a good series to use to prepare your students for the AP test.

Crystal Owens
    crystal.tuel@mvnu.edu

• 5.  RE: Descubre

Posted 01-27-2016 08:02

Amelia,

I agree with all the other comments that have been posted. We are in a school where students purchase their own textbooks. Vista Higher Learning also offers another text, Panorama, that is essentially the same content as Descubre 1 and 2 in the same volume. We use that so that our student purchase one book for two years. We do chapters 1-6 in year one and chapters 7-11 in year two with some vocab and grammar points from chapter 12, 13, and 15. It has worked really well for us.

We have also used Descubre 3 with our level 3 classes, and have not liked it as much. It is almost a complete rehash of Descubre 2 with much of the same grammar and vocab, albeit at a higher level. Some might like that, but we are looking for a different approach for level 3.

David Sawyer
    dsawyer@covenantschool.org

• 6.  RE: Descubre

Posted 20 days ago

Hello everyone!,

I would like to know if someone has the ACFTL Can do Statements Lesson per lesson of the Series DESCUBRE 1 and 2. I am struggling a bit to see and drafting the Can do statement looking at the lesson.

I would really really appreciate any help regarding this matter. 

Muchas muchas gracias desde Bangladesh.

Rebeca Lozano
    becalozano77@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Descubre

Posted 19 days ago
    We are currently using Descubre at the HS level. It has a lot of bells and whistles, so if that is what you are after, at the intermediate level there are some good short films that are great for class and the online workbook is great for assigning homework. There are a variety of activities available online: listening, short answer, long answer, interactive, etc. The latest version works better with iPads than the 2014 version. I personally do not like the series. It is a college text that was "adapted" for high school. Often the themes / vocabulary / questions / activities covered in levels 2 or 3 are not appropriate for this age group and I adapt a lot.

Marda Rose
    marda.rose@bishops.com
    rosem4@sou.edu

• 8.  RE: Descubre

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi Rebeca,

I'm assuming you are using the Descubre series online site as well (VHL ?), So all you have to do is open a lesson
    and under CONTENT, click Resources, then you will stroll down through the column on the left and you'll see
    the "I can worksheets" for that particular chapter that you can print, and every chapter is the same way.
    I hope I understood your question and these directions help!

Gloria Galarza
    Immaculate Heart High School
    ggalarza@immaculateheart.org

• 9.  RE: Descubre

Posted 18 days ago
    Take a look at EntreCulturas from Wayside Publishing. The customized can-dos are integrated throughout the student text along with many more current research-based pedagogical features. 

Janet Parker
    janetdparker1@cox.net

• 10.  RE: Descubre

Posted 17 days ago
    I concur with Janet Parker. EntreCulturas is geared for the high school classroom. We used Descubre and found the same issues as were mentioned before. Descubre's strength is the super site. EntreCulturas provides a nicely designed program that is targeted to the high school / middle school learner. The online text offers a portfolio feature where students can assess and track their own "can do" accomplishments throughout the year.

Julie Hawkes
    Unionville High School
    jhawkes@ucfsd.net

• 11.  RE: Descubre

Posted 16 days ago
    We use Descubre in levels 1-3, however we create our own curriculum and use outside resources such as the Scholastic Magazine for reading and videos, news articles in the target language plus chapter readers. We love the Super Site for assignments but do not use all of the short films at level 3. This is because we created a curriculum where we don't follow the textbook lessons but use the book to work with the grammar. Next year we will be using a site called This is Language for Spanish and French to help our students listen to native speakers talk about various topics rather than rehearsed exercises from the textbook.

I say if your school is planning to use these series, plan to split Descubre 2 and 3 for students to use it in two years for your regular classes.

Gisela Cordero-Cinko
    Christian Brothers Academy
    World Language Teacher
    gcorderocinko@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: Descubre

Posted 14 days ago
    Gisela -

Are the Scholastic magazines good to make a whole unit out of?  How much time would it take to work through a whole issue?

Chris Cashman
    ccashman@chiarts.org
    Spanish Teacher