Topic Thread

1.  what are the standard content of all target languages?

Posted 20 days ago
Edited by Joseph May 20 days ago
Hi everyone

I am new to ACTFL.  I currently teach American Sign Language (ASL).  I happen to read a few different language textbooks...I noticed the similarities of the curriculum in those target language, unlike ASL.  So far only one textbook (Master ASL!) used ACTFL standards, but I am looking for the content in a curriculum that all target language educators usually use to teach in their classrooms.   a good example that I happened to find from the California Dept of Education on foreign language (https://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/worldlanguage2009.pdf) .  I am not going to list all stages of those content -- just first stage and I know you know what I am trying to say.

Stage I
1.0 Students acquire information, recognize distinctive viewpoints, and further their knowledge
of other disciplines.
1.1 Students address discrete elements of daily life, including:
a. Greetings and introductions
b. Family and friends
c. Pets
d. Home and neighborhood
e. Celebrations, holidays, and rites of passage
f. Calendar, seasons, and weather
g. Leisure, hobbies and activities, songs, toys and games, sports
h. Vacations and travel, maps, destinations, and geography
i. School, classroom, schedules, subjects, numbers, time, directions
j. Important dates in the target culture
k. Jobs
l. Food, meals, restaurants
m. Shopping, clothes, colors, and sizes
n. Parts of the body, illness
o. Technology

just an idea... I am looking for that from ACTFL website..where can I find those content information so I can develop my curriculum for my ASL classes.  I tried to copy the content from those target language textbooks but I could not comprehend what they were talking about, of course.  Master ASL! textbook is not sufficient for me to get a better picture of what the standard curriculum is like compared to all other target languages.

I really hope that you can help me with this humble request.  Many thanks!

------------------------------
Paul May
paulmay@simplyasl.com

2.  RE: what are the standard content of all target languages?

Posted 19 days ago
Hi Joseph,

We have two publications that can help you. The World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages is available for ASL: https://www.actfl.org/publications/all/world-readiness-standards-learning-languages

It's two components, the General Standards, and then the language specific Standards. Another useful resource are the NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements: https://www.actfl.org/publications/guidelines-and-manuals/ncssfl-actfl-can-do-statements

The two documents should be able to assist with you. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Genevieve Borello
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
Membership Manager
gborello@actfl.org

3.  RE: what are the standard content of all target languages?

Posted 5 days ago
Hi Genevieve

yes, I am going to get that ASL standards book.  I have other copies, but I believe I will need to upgrade to a newer version with can-do statements.  My older versions focused on 5 C's.  I got to read some here online...very informative!!  Very helpful!

I'm still spelunking!

I always appreciate your help!  Thank you.

Paul

Paul May
North Greenville University
paulmaysc@gmail.com

4.  RE: what are the standard content of all target languages?

Posted 19 days ago
I am new to ACTFL also!  I just ordered the kindle version of ASL standards along with the hard copy of ACTFL standards.  I am very interested in learning more information.  I am in Upstate NY. I would like to chat more specifically about ASL and the standards.

Judy Weakley
judyaweakley@gmail.com

5.  RE: what are the standard content of all target languages?

Posted 18 days ago
If you're from California, Paul, then you probably know that our State Standards are being revised and they are looking for people to apply to give input on creating a Framework.  You should apply as I think it would be good to have representation from ASL to help give input.

Tom Beeman
High School Spanish Teacher
California Virtual Academies

6.  RE: what are the standard content of all target languages?

Posted 5 days ago
Edited by Joseph May 5 days ago
Hi Tom.  I'm from South Carolina!  Pretty far away from California! :-)  I'm glad I got to check out the California standards...I bookmarked it.  Many thanks!!

Joseph May
North Greenville University
paulmaysc@gmail.com

7.  RE: what are the standard content of all target languages?

Posted 18 days ago
Paul, gracias for share with us this link, is very important to know what the others states curriculum are.

I used sometimes this website from New York, really good content! UnboundEd

I am sure you will benefit with it.

Feliz día,

Claudia Izquierdo
Director
www.onlinefreespanish.com
Aisolutionsadt@gmail.com