Topic Thread

1.  TPRS and CI

Posted 20 days ago
Greetings everyone.  I'm a veteran teacher (27 yrs), and have taught grammar most of this time (Spanish/French; levels 1-3).  Am reading and getting very excited by CI and TPRS.  Studied Krashen and SLA in my last grad program 15 yrs ago, and seeing lots about it these days.  Would like to know how those who are practicing it now find it.  Also, wondering if we use this at high school level, will our students be prepared for their first class(s) at college level.  Thanks to all.

Lucy Holmes

2.  RE: TPRS and CI

Posted 20 days ago
Estoy totalmente de acuerdo.

------------------------------
Gisela Cordero-Cinko
gcorderocinko@gmail.com

3.  RE: TPRS and CI

Posted 19 days ago
​I use TPRS and TPR in a variety of ways. I am a Spanish and French teacher in my 32nd year of education, and I find it to be very effective in student learning. They actually learn without consciously realizing it. It is the closest experience to immersion that I can do in a high school setting. I begin from day one, but I also use English to supplement classroom instructions and to clarify, especially when teaching grammar as it strengthens their knowledge of English as well as the foreign language when I explain the grammar.

In Spanish 3, it's all Spanish. I became a TPR and TPRS practitioner when doing my master's final project 20 years ago, and I have been a fan ever since.

Pamela Harris
kceltic@charter.net

4.  RE: TPRS and CI

Posted 19 days ago
I also recommend without reservation the use of TPRS and other ways of delivering CI.  Students find stories compelling thus they engage with the language more eagerly.  And because the method is naturally differentiating, I have seen success with all types of students.  Since we began teaching with a CI focus, we have expanded from offering two years of high school Spanish to offering 3 years of middle school and 4 years of high school plus AP Language and Culture.  Students find they are successful in Spanish class and choose to continue for various reasons: some to enjoy that success, others because they just enjoy the way class is presented, and others because they fall in love with language.

This is our first year to offer AP so I cannot tell you any success stories there!  However, what I have heard from college students who have studied high school Spanish 2-4 years is positive. Many CLEP or test into 200 or 300 level classes. Others choose to start anew and enjoy an "easy A." Some have switched to other languages but have continued language study.  One student panicked when she entered college and they began talking about "conjugation." She didn't know she could conjugate! Since that first year, I have been deliberate to teach a few grammar terms (conjugation, infinitive, stem) and explain to students more about how they are learning language.

Students at my school often participate in mission trips to Spanish-speaking countries and most report feeling confident with trying out their language skills.  No matter the method used in class, it is impossible to "fully prepare" a student for these situations.  But our students have a confidence that bolsters them when they are abroad. One reported that she remembered best the things we had discussed during our "crazy stories."

I hope this is helpful to you!

Diane Volzer
dvolzer@chslions.comWorld Languages Department Head

5.  RE: TPRS and CI

Posted 18 days ago
TPR Stories are wonderful comprehensible input.  If you are thinking about using TPRS, here is a tutorial to get you started: How to use TPR Storytelling strategies Tutorial
YouTube remove preview
How to use TPR Storytelling strategies Tutorial
Video tutorial on TPRS: Would you like to learn how to teach using TPR Storytelling Strategies? Would you like to conduct your class all in the target language? In this video, I explain and demonstrate many different strategies for providing comprehensible input in your world language or Spanish class and for bringing your students to proficiency.
View this on YouTube >
If you prefer reading, here is another tutorial on my blog: How to Tell a Story Using TPR Storytelling Strategies

Angie

Angie Torre-Sherbondy
altespoir@sbcglobal.net
Spanish Teacher