Topic Thread

1.  AP French text recommendation?

Posted 9 days ago
Is anyone using the textbook Face à Face for their AP French course? If so, would you recommend it? We are just creating our AP course and are leaning towards this text. I am wondering what others' experiences may be with this book. We also looked at the Thèmes text from the same publisher, but thought that it seemed a little too intense. I would appreciate any feedback you can provide.

------------------------------
Sarah Thatcher
sarah.thatcher@svpanthers.org

2.  RE: AP French text recommendation?

Posted 8 days ago
We have used Face à Face for a college level, 5th semester, class. Some good points are, it has several authentic, global readings- cartoons, poems, essays and excerpts from longer readings-, the chapter grammar is feasible, certain videos are well done: Il neige à Marrakesh, Pas de bagage and Le Lagon néo-calédonian. Some difficulties:  In the 3ed, one new video gave me nightmares and I'm still unsettled by it and that the publisher would even put it in the text at all. It's the one about the piano tuner who claims to be blind, but isn't. I don't remember the title. If I had nightmares, what about the students? My students used to enjoy playing the vocabulary games in class, but the publisher has placed them in the Websam section and I no longer have access to them. We no longer use this text as we have changed to Séquences by VHLcentral for both 5th and 6th semester, Fr2251 and Fr2252.

Mary Lynette Moore
marylynette@comcast.net

3.  RE: AP French text recommendation?

Posted 7 days ago
I used Themes for 2 years in AP. My students found it daunting, not especially helpful AP prep. Prior to that I used Imaginez (the larger version of Face a Face) in pre-AP & AP, but the publisher changed the short movies with each new edition and raised the price. Just couldn't justify it. I now use no text, just short readers, Yabla, films and lots of internet news sites with my AP class.

Sarah Moran
slmora1226@gmail.com

4.  RE: AP French text recommendation?

Posted 7 days ago
Edited by Janet Parker 7 days ago
I know that AP French teachers are happy with APrenons from Wayside Publishing.

Janet Parker
janetdparker@cox.net

5.  RE: AP French text recommendation?

Posted 5 days ago

Hi
I would be curious to find out what text book people find effective and engaging for a 5th semester Composition & Conversation college class.

Thanks
Catherine Savell

Catherine Savell
csavell@loyola.eduInstructor