Language Educators

Topic: attending class via computer 

1.  attending class via computer

Posted 12-08-2017 13:48
Does your district have any experiences with high school students attending a language class via computer that is taught by an instructor in another location?   If so, please contact me about your experiences.

------------------------------
Todd Bowen
toddbowen62@gmail.com

2.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 12-11-2017 12:58
This is my entire school.  We are an on-line, public charter school with 11 charters in California.  All of our students and teachers work from home with required and optional live sessions weekly via BlackBoard Connect.

Tom Beeman
High School Spanish Teacher
California Virtual Academies

3.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 12-12-2017 13:08
Thanks Tom.

Could you describe what interpersonal interactions look like between and among students?  I'm most interested in interpersonal speaking to help all the decision-makers grasp what it looks like in this model.

Todd Bowen

4.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 12-13-2017 02:49
Here is an interesting article describing a way that a student at UC Boulder attended class via computer.  I learned about this in the Graduate Certificate Program (Language Teaching with Technology).  I hope the article will be useful to you.

The first two paragraphs read as follows:

Annie Miller, a CU Boulder student majoring in International Affairs, approached her Arabic Instructor, Mona Attwa, about continuing her Arabic language learning in the Spring 2017 semester. Due to a hip surgery over the Winter break, Ms. Miller was unable to attend class. Eager to not miss out on the beginning weeks of the Beginning Arabic 2 course while she recovered from the surgery, Ms. Miller asked if any accommodation could be made.

With collaboration and support from the Department of Asian Languages and Civilizations, OIT's Academic Technology Design Team, and the Anderson Language and Technology Center (ALTEC), Ms. Attwa and Ms. Miller utilized a new technology available on the CU Boulder campus, the Kubi, in order to make the accommodation possible.  

The rest of the article is here:

Kubi Technology Enables Student to Attend Class
Asian Languages and Civilizations remove preview
Kubi Technology Enables Student to Attend Class
Annie Miller, a CU Boulder student majoring in International Affairs, approached her Arabic Instructor, Mona Attwa, about continuing her Arabic language learning in the Spring 2017 semester. Due to a hip surgery over the Winter break, Ms. Miller was unable to attend class.
View this on Asian Languages and Civilizations >

Margot Riemer
Mcriemer@icloud.com

5.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 12-14-2017 12:51
That is way cool!  I'd love to see Kubi in high schools!

Angie Sherbondy
altespoir@sbcglobal.net
Spanish Teacher

6.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 30 days ago

The ACTFL Distance Learning SIG sponsored the presentation below, which featured Kubi, at the 2017 ACTFL Conference.

Pàmies, S. (2017). Diverse learners and robots: Telepresence in the hybrid flipped classroom.
A Distance Learning SIG session at the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign
Languages (ACTFL) Annual Convention and World Languages Expo, November 17-19,
Nashville, TX.

Dr. Susana Perez-Pàmies of the University of Colorado at Boulder gave this presentation. Perhaps you could search for it on the ACTFL conference website to learn more?

Victoria Russell
Chair, ACTFL DL SIG
varussell@valdosta.edu

7.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 12-14-2017 00:27
Because students attend live sessions, there is interaction between the teacher and student and between students just like any other school.  Plus, we are available when not in class via phone and e-mail so interaction in the target language can occur that way, too.  At the AP level, we have an artificial interpersonal communication as there are assignments that mimic what you see on the AP Exam (a series of pre-recorded prompts you have to respond to - a simulated conversation).

Tom Beeman

8.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 29 days ago
Tom,

Thank you for the additional information.  It's very helpful.

Todd

Todd Bowen
toddbowen62@gmail.com

9.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 28 days ago
Hello Tom,
When the class is online, how does the teacher monitor the pronunciation? For example, in class, I can immediately give the students feedback
on certain words. How do you do that online?

Weifang Wang
wwang@dist113.org Chinese Teacher

10.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 27 days ago
Students have microphones so they are able speak when class is live.  Plus, every other unit the major quiz is a speaking quiz so they record their responses.  That is a useful tool for me because I can use the quiz to gather patterns and talk about them in class.  For example, English interference causes errors in pronouncing the pronoun "me" correctly so I have to explain that when they say "mi" that they are expressing possessive and not object pronoun (pronounced "may").

Tom Beeman

11.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 26 days ago
What was always missing for me in on-line classes with microphones was the possibiity to walk through the class while students engage in partner activities and just listen individually and make individual corrections, which often are not needed for the whole class, but for individual students. Students are either 'on' or 'off', but there is really no opportunity for the peripheral hearing one can do in an on-site class.

K. Eckhard Kuhn-Osius
ekuhnos@hunter.cuny.edu

12.  RE: attending class via computer

Posted 25 days ago
Eckhardt--I encourage my students to talk aloud while they are negotiating meaning, that allows me to hear the misconceptions and misunderstandings that I then collect on a clipboard (I don't interrupt) and then make that a teachable moment as I review the major mistakes I overheard :)  This allows for practice and no one is singled out.

Aleidine Moeller
amoeller@unlserve.unl.eduEdith S. Greer Professor