Language Educators

1.  Activities for spontaneous Presentational Mode

Posted 01-25-2018 15:55
Hello!

I was wondering if any of you had  ideas of activities that allow for spontaneous presentational mode. Learners' proficiency is supposed to be assessed on their spontaneous production. Besides asking students to present themselves, what else have you done that could be included in the presentational mode? Thank you for your tips!

------------------------------
Frederique Grim
Frederique.Grim@colostate.edu

2.  RE: Activities for spontaneous Presentational Mode

Posted 01-25-2018 19:09
Here is what I do:

I give them a task they have to complete in 10 minutes and present to class. I use Spiral (an app which is free), which has a presentation mode. Students work using their computers with one being the leader of the group. They all work helping finding the information to help the leader. Once ten minutes are done, the leader presents. I used various topics related to the topics in our units. The good thing about Spiral is that once the 10 minutes are done, the leader clicks on ready to present and then he takes over the screen and starts talking. If you need more information I will share more....

Gisela Cordero-Cinko
gcorderocinko@gmail.com

3.  RE: Activities for spontaneous Presentational Mode

Posted 01-26-2018 01:25
I say any topic is good.  Pick something that is happening in the news, or something on campus.  This is Winter Formal time so maybe do a presentation about formal dances.  I always give the example for the Cultural Comparison to talk about a Quicne vs. a Debutante Ball or Sweet 16 or Bar/bat mitzvah.

Tom Beeman
High School Spanish Teacher
California Virtual Academies

4.  RE: Activities for spontaneous Presentational Mode

Posted 01-26-2018 10:05
1st year students:

Introduce another member of the class, describe a family member (or the entire family), fashion show - what are they wearing today?, give direction to their home or to the school from their home, give instructions to make a favorite food item, describe a popular tourist attraction in their home town/state

2nd year students:

Describe their home, give a "tour" of their house/bedroom, give a "tour"/describe their hometown, describe a "to do" list - errands, chores, where they are going to do them, describe a geographical location (home town, state, country) or another country they have studied, storytelling:  what did they do last weekend?, hand out pictures of people doing things and have students tell stories about them (past, present or future). Childhood stories - what were you like as a child?, what did you do/have/see, etc.  What are you going to do this summer/vacation/weekend?

Sue Fry
sue.fry@gilbertschools.net

Best Answer
5.  RE: Activities for spontaneous Presentational Mode

Posted 01-28-2018 08:34
. . . Revive an "oldy but moldy!"  Show and Tell.  There is no need to bring actual objects to class.  Get used to this idea by forming a circle and passing "pretend" objects by "tossing" them to people across the circle.  Start with a fat cat (treat it like it is heavy, hold it with both arms bent at the elbows as if under the cat's torso).  Make eye contact with your intended receiver, say, "fat cat," and toss it.  When it gets routine, start another object, like "small red ball," which you treat as light in weight and toss with a one-handed arc.  When students are used to pretending that such things really exist, add odd objects, which makes it fun.  This can reinforce grammar concepts in languages that have adjective agreement and unique syntax for articles, nouns, and adjectives.  Then the group will be ready for Show and Tell.  Students take turns holding a pretend object, reacting emotionally to it and respecting it's size, shape, weight, and smell.  They identify it, describe it, say what it is used for, say who gave it to them or how they acquired it, tell why it is important to them, etcetera.  Another idea is to take turns with "pretend" modeling clay.  Students pretend to form the clay into objects but cannot identify them except to describe them and tell their use.  Then the group guesses what it is.  Why do all of this "object" work?  Because the mixed focus helps to manage anxiety, the activities are fun, people develop imagination, presentational mode speech becomes spontaneous, and students choose either current vocabulary words or, better yet, things about which they feel motivated to speak.

Bob Chase
Satisfecho@aol.com
Tunxis Community College/Capital Community College
www.yalebooks.com/medicalspanish