Print Message

RE: Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state?
 To: Language Educators
 Posted: 09-06-2017 06:41
 Message: We require 2 years of language for graduation.  However,  sometimes a student can end up "doubling up" with those 2 years if s/he didn't pass year 1 and waited until their junior year to take the language class. Can you imagine taking Spanish 1 and 2 simultaneously?

------------------------------
Julie Senft
senftjul45@gmail.com
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 09-04-2017 08:51
Subject: Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state?

Hmm..... sounds suspicious, doesn't it?

Failing first year and being placed into second year?  I've had that happen very rarely in my career as a teacher, and usually it was a clerical/input error made in the Guidance Department and was corrected.  Or a student "misbubbled" into French 3 who belonged in Spanish 3.

How closely are bona fide credits for graduation monitored by the school, school division, and state department of education?

What agency is the regional accreditation agency for secondary schools in your area [Arizona?] of the USA?

Is there a teachers' association to bring up these concerns?  At your school, is there a "faculty/staff council" to bring up these concerns?

I've seen "foreign languages" dumped upon and misused more at the middle school level than at the high school level since middle schools are not the secondary schools that award the official HS diploma.

Let us know how your situation turns out.  I'd like to hear from others addressing this issue in this strand.

Sincerely,

Robert L. "Bobby" Oliver
Williamsburg, VA

Original Message:
Sent: 09-01-2017 08:12
Subject: Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state?

Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state? We are. Because of our classification, we get super large classes, never get the respect from the administration that other academic classes (put kids in French even if they signed up for Spanish, put them in the second level even if they didn't pass the first level (even if they got a 20%) or in Spanish 3 even if they never even took Spanish 2. Just wondering if you folks experienced the same thing.

Lonnie Dai Zovi
lonnie@vibrante.com

© 2017 ACTFL, All Rights Reserved.