Print Message

RE: Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state?
 To: Language Educators
 Posted: 09-04-2017 12:21
 Message: I teach at a small Christian high school where modern language is an elective, as is not required for graduation in our state. However, universities usually want to see 2-3 years of consecutive language study, so most of our students do take my class.

It sounds like you need to educate your administration! What kind of conversations have you had? I have taught 10 years at my school and have successfully changed the culture regarding modern language. There were a lot of misconceptions and I also felt my department received less respect, especially from students. "It´s just Spanish." But we have come a long way! It is possible!

------------------------------
Rita Barrett
rbarrett@paasda.org
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 09-01-2017 08:12
Subject: Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state?

Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state? We are. Because of our classification, we get super large classes, never get the respect from the administration that other academic classes (put kids in French even if they signed up for Spanish, put them in the second level even if they didn't pass the first level (even if they got a 20%) or in Spanish 3 even if they never even took Spanish 2. Just wondering if you folks experienced the same thing.

Lonnie Dai Zovi
lonnie@vibrante.com

© 2017 ACTFL, All Rights Reserved.