Print Message

RE: Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state?
 To: Language Educators
 Posted: 09-04-2017 00:53
 Message: In California it used to be a requirement that students take 1 year of language in order to graduate, but that has been removed so we are till an elective.  We don't have a problem with students not getting the language they desire nor with students being placed in the wrong level.  We are an on-line school and, while we don't have department chairs, I've become the de facto lead for Spanish.  i worked with the other teachers and guidance counselors to get prerequisites in place and they come to me if students want to move up a level without having met the prerequisites.  I am pretty strict so we have a department-wide exam for lower levels and if they don't pass, they don't move up.  Last week I was presented with a student who got a "C" one semester and a "D" the other in Spanish 4 at her old school and wanted to be in AP.  I teach AP and said she can go to a community college and take a 2nd year Spanish class there because with her grades there was no way she was going to be successful in AP.

------------------------------
Tom Beeman
High School Spanish Teacher
California Virtual Academies
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 09-01-2017 08:12
Subject: Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state?

Are modern language classes classified as elective in your district/state? We are. Because of our classification, we get super large classes, never get the respect from the administration that other academic classes (put kids in French even if they signed up for Spanish, put them in the second level even if they didn't pass the first level (even if they got a 20%) or in Spanish 3 even if they never even took Spanish 2. Just wondering if you folks experienced the same thing.

Lonnie Dai Zovi
lonnie@vibrante.com

© 2017 ACTFL, All Rights Reserved.