Print Message

RE: attending class via computer
 To: Language Educators
 Posted: 12-20-2017 11:14
 Message: Students have microphones so they are able speak when class is live.  Plus, every other unit the major quiz is a speaking quiz so they record their responses.  That is a useful tool for me because I can use the quiz to gather patterns and talk about them in class.  For example, English interference causes errors in pronouncing the pronoun "me" correctly so I have to explain that when they say "mi" that they are expressing possessive and not object pronoun (pronounced "may").

------------------------------
Tom Beeman
High School Spanish Teacher
California Virtual Academies
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 12-19-2017 11:17
Subject: attending class via computer

Hello Tom,
When the class is online, how does the teacher monitor the pronunciation? For example, in class, I can immediately give the students feedback
on certain words. How do you do that online?

Weifang Wang
wwang@dist113.org Chinese Teacher

Original Message:
Sent: 12-18-2017 15:38

Tom,

Thank you for the additional information.  It's very helpful.

Todd

Todd Bowen
toddbowen62@gmail.com

Original Message:
Sent: 12-14-2017 00:26

Because students attend live sessions, there is interaction between the teacher and student and between students just like any other school.  Plus, we are available when not in class via phone and e-mail so interaction in the target language can occur that way, too.  At the AP level, we have an artificial interpersonal communication as there are assignments that mimic what you see on the AP Exam (a series of pre-recorded prompts you have to respond to - a simulated conversation).

Tom Beeman

Original Message:
Sent: 12-12-2017 13:08

Thanks Tom.

Could you describe what interpersonal interactions look like between and among students?  I'm most interested in interpersonal speaking to help all the decision-makers grasp what it looks like in this model.

Todd Bowen

Original Message:
Sent: 12-11-2017 12:57

This is my entire school.  We are an on-line, public charter school with 11 charters in California.  All of our students and teachers work from home with required and optional live sessions weekly via BlackBoard Connect.

Tom Beeman

Original Message:
Sent: 12-08-2017 13:48

Does your district have any experiences with high school students attending a language class via computer that is taught by an instructor in another location?   If so, please contact me about your experiences.

Todd Bowen
toddbowen62@gmail.com

© 2018 ACTFL, All Rights Reserved.