Print Message

RE: Honors / Non-Honors
 To: Language Educators
 Posted: 10-23-2017 01:15

Thanks for the response.  How have you personally felt about using the same rubrics for Honors and regular-track?  Do you feel that your courses and assessments are differentiated well enough?

Hi Adoracion -

Perhaps I should have specified that I was interested to know if ACTFL has talked about designing courses that are strictly honors courses - not mixed classes of honors + regular-track students in the same classroom.  I have 1000's of my own ideas for my own honors classes I teach; I'm simply wanting to know if ACTFL has weighed in on the topic.  It's looking like that's not the case - future issue of "The Language Educator", perhaps!  *wink wink*

You mention a couple things:

- "Look for additional activities" - I feel that that's what a lot of people think for honors students.  Just give them extra.  Give them more than the other students.  I think that's part of it, but I think that the content of a course designed for highly-skilled learners should include breadth as well as depth.  Example:  Honors students need to write their daily routine in an organized, coherent paragraph with transition words; regular-track learners should provide a list of sentences.  Also, the content might be different.  A third years high school honors class, for example, may do a unit talking about the environment in the target language, but that might be too hard to handle for a regular-track - so they read a short, easy novel.  Something like that.  I don't think it's just a difference in quantity.

- "Provide honors students with the opportunities that they are looking for."  Shouldn't that apply to all of our learners?  In fact, that sounds more applicable to regular-track learners.  I think that honors students may do a better job holding onto greater loads of information that might not be immediately applicable (ex: the subjunctive is used in this context, but we won't really be focusing on it).

------------------------------
Chris Cashman
ccashman@chiarts.org
Spanish Teacher
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 10-20-2017 09:20
Subject: Honors / Non-Honors

Hello,

It is difficulty to accommodate the honors students in one class, at my university we have the students registered in regular courses. This is good because they can learn when working with other students. On the other hand, it is a challenge when looking for additional activities for the honor students.

This semester, one student from an online course, requested to work on a research focusing on the difficulties Spanish speaking students have to integrate with the american school and their peers. This studnet is at the second class beginning Spanish level. I was surprised about her  request. Thus, students in the honor program want to be challenged and learn. Opportunities, must be given to the honor students,  to create additional activities focused on their interests.

My advise is to continue providing honor students the opportunities they are looking for..

[Adoracion] [Berry] [Ed.D.]
[aberry@memphis.edu][Instructional Designer and Instructor]

Original Message:
Sent: 10-19-2017 10:21

Good question! I am not sure if ACTFL makes any distinctions between an honors class and a regular class. I can only tell you what we do where I work. We do use the same rubrics. However the amount of reading and the level of the readers are more advanced than those used at the regular classes. I know my response cannot help you a lot and hope another teacher sends another response.

Gisela Cordero-Cinko
gcorderocinko@gmail.com

Original Message:
Sent: 10-18-2017 17:25

Hi folks -

Does anyone know if in any of their publications ACTFL has given formal guidance or input on creating good Honors language courses?  I just ordered the "Keys to" series recently, so perhaps there is some info there.

Not necessarily looking to start a discussion thread about it here - I know everyone has their thoughts and ideas :-)  I'm simply interested to know if ACTFL has published on that topic.

Saludos -

Chris Cashman
ccashman@chiarts.org
Spanish Teacher

© 2017 ACTFL, All Rights Reserved.