search criteria = ALL
Language Educators sorted by thread

New Spanish textbooks (middle school)May 03, 2013 12:02 PMSasha Gauley
  RE:New Spanish textbooks (middle school)May 04, 2013 11:15 AMLaura Zuchovicki
  RE:New Spanish textbooks (middle school)May 04, 2013 9:45 PMR. Harrell

New Spanish textbooks (middle school)
To: Language Educators
Posted: May 03, 2013 12:02 PM
Subject: New Spanish textbooks (middle school)
I'm responsible for selecting a new set of textbooks for Middle School Spanish (Grades 6-8) in a dual language school (English/Spanish). Does anyone have any recommendations as to good textbooks to use? Would it be advisable to split 6th grade into their own "track" and have 7th and 8th together? Any suggestions welcomed. Thank-you! 

-------------------------------------------
Sasha Gauley
Not Yet Rated
Your Rating

RE:New Spanish textbooks (middle school)
Posted: May 04, 2013 11:15 AM
Subject: RE:New Spanish textbooks (middle school)

Since you guys are looking for Elementary and Middle School Textbooks, I would recommend that you visit our website and see what we have to offer. We have a full unit sample for each teacher guide and student workbook, plus we have a sale in progress that will offer 10% discount of your total purchase.
Our website iswww.conversaspanish.com
Happy teaching!

[Laura Anaya de Zuchovicki
Conversa
Founder
laura.zuchovicki@conversaspanish.com
http://www.conversabooks.com/

Show Original Message
Not Yet Rated
Your Rating

RE:New Spanish textbooks (middle school)
Posted: May 04, 2013 9:45 PM
Subject: RE:New Spanish textbooks (middle school)
You might want to take a look at the Santillana series. We have not yet adopted it, but are taking a look since having begun an elementary program and have hopes of continuing it through middle school. Two things I like about them: the Publishing company is originally based in Spain and has established itself in the U.S. in recent years; they publish textbooks for Elementary programs all the way up to High School. 

I teach from 8th (when our French/Spanish language requirement begins) through 12th grades and my wife teaches 5th and 6th grade Spanish. In answer to your question about putting 6th grade in its own track, at her school they use the same textbook series (levels 1 and 2) for 5th through 8th grades She feels the two-part series is not developmentally appropriate for 5th grade, but is fine using it for 6th through 8th (at her school 5th grade is the first year of Middle School). They cover 1st level Spanish in 5th, 6th and 7th grades (up to the Preterite) with the 1A textbook, and then 2nd level with the 1B book in 8th grade. Students go on to  high school to place in Spanish 3 in the 9th grade. Since you begin in the 6th grade, I would imagine you complete the curriculum for level 1 over your three years of Middle School, sending the students to high school to begin Spanish 2.

R. Harrell

Show Original Message
Not Yet Rated
Your Rating